The Highland Hospital Family Birthing Center's facility, technology and team of providers are without parallel in the area. Our clinical and support expertise are in the top ranks, quantified by our high success vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) rates and low C-section rates. Our Maternal Child Health services have earned a richly deserved reputation for distinction, with designation by Baby Friendly USA (BFUSA) as a “Baby-Friendly” Hospital. BFUSA is a program of the World Health Organization (WHO) and United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), and Highland is one of only 250 designated programs in the nation.The new Highland Family Birthing Center continues AHS’s commitment to Baby-Friendly care for the mother and baby.
Located on the 4th Floor of the Acute Care Tower, the new Family Birthing Center features:
- Brand new, state-of-the-art, eco-friendly building with the latest technology and equipment.
- Large private labor and delivery rooms, with comfortable, home-like environment for mother, baby and family bonding.
- Family-friendly policies. Family member visits allowed during the entire birthing process, according to circumstances and mother’s wishes.
Providers and Care
- Robust team of certified nurse midwives delivering some of the best safety, quality and experiential outcomes in the Bay Area.
- Board-certified OB-GYNs, perinatologists and pediatricians.
- 24/7 licensed lactation support.
- Eight labor and delivery rooms, all spacious and private, include bathrooms with tubs, sleeper beds for guests and flat-screen TVs.
- State-of-the-art postpartum suites provide homelike surround-ings to foster baby bonding.
- Medical equipment kept out of sight to limit clinical feel.
- Warm, welcoming environment, family-oriented and culturally sensitive.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Self-contained, state-of-the-art Level 2 NICU has eight rooms where mother and baby can stay together at the bedside; two overnight suites also available.